Sunday, October 30, 2011

Who writes songs about that?!

Today as I went to go pick up Marko and Lady Di from the airport, I had my radio set to my usual station. They’ve been doing this new thing lately when a new single comes is played, there’s a quick sound bite from the singer in the beginning talking about why they like their new single (besides the fact that they’re getting cash money for it being played at that very moment), why they wrote it, why you should like it, blah blah blah. And the new single from Christina Perry, which follows this formula, is the title track for the new Twilight movie that comes out next month.


So she’s telling us that she loves the song, yada yada yada and then tells us she wrote it because of the strong love between the two main characters (who, spoiler alert, get married in the last book...I’ve never read a page but the previews totally give it away. I’d be upset if I cared). Well, I just about fell out of my the driver’s seat when I heard that baloney. Writing a song because of the main characters love story? Really? That could be the dumbest thing I have heard all weekend. Back in the day, when I was under the impression that I had a beautiful singing voice, I wrote what I thought would be the next number one hit, but never once did I write a song based fictional characters and their love story! Sorry I had no songs about Ross and Rachel from Friends or Zach Morris and Kelly Kapowski, or, to stick with the vampire theme, Buffy and Angel. Even as an aspiring music writer at the tender age of 10 or so, I knew I wouldn't be taken seriously if I wrote about that! And she's the one with the singing career?


I can honestly say that my 4th grade written songs were about things in the real world, like how I’ll one day meet NSYNC or how I would overcome the odds and be a music superstar. Real issues here people.

No comments:

Post a Comment