Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Movie Going Experience

Dear Kate,

In the past two weeks, I have seen a total of 4 movies. Some would call that excessive. I, on the other hand see it as something lonnnng over due. Although it costs an arm and a leg to see a movie, you are really paying for the experience. Yes they are making TVs the size of a house now a days, it still is not the same. I've taken the time to compile some of the key "theater-only" perks that you can't get anywhere else (I know, I'm such a giver)::

1. Soda Fountain Sodas and Popcorn. First of all, yum. Although you could save some moolah with your canned soda and instant popcorn but your popcorn is always cold and not drenched in butter and lacking that key boost of carbonation. Of course you could have a popcorn machine, a "soda-stream" and a size 87 inch tv in your home theater but to have all three of those things, well I find that highly unlikely. And I just love me a soda fountain soda.

2. Previews. Some people hate them, but I love them. And that's where we make our list of movies that we are gonna see! Usually, if I love the trailer, then I will love the movie. But, every once in a while, you do get played by one. For example, the Social Network preview. That really didn't do the movie justice because, well, I had no idea what was going on. But boy oh boy that was a sa-weet movie. But back on track, I love previews.

3. Complete concentration. When you go to the movies, you are there to watch a movie. You wont be interrupted, so it usually has your complete attention. You can't get distracted by a phone call, playing on the computer, what have you. Of course, there could be some twerp behind you kicking your chair but that's what the international sign of "that's annoying" is for. And I admit it, I am one of those people who talk occasionally through movies, but it's to point things out, not to be annoying. It's really a public service.

4. Comradery. This usually comes out when you see a midnight movie (Harry Potter kids really bring it in this type of situation) but I just love it when people are just get so excited to see these movies. They cheer when their faves first appear or they dress up, they are devoted fans. For example, when I saw Dark Night, there were Jokers and Batmans. Then there's Harry Potters, Gryffindor Quidditch players, Snapes! Ahh, just a sucker for comradery.

5. The Big Screen. This is really more for movies like HP, Batman, James Bond, blah blah blah, but there are just some movies you have to see on the big screen!

6. Early Bird Prices. Seeing the first movie of the day? You get like a super discount! 6 something for a movie? That's the best deal around.

It's too bad that they got rid of the trivia before movies though. Those were always entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment