Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Lion King 3D

Last night I finally got to see the Lion King on the big screen in 3D. To say that it was awesome would be a bit of an understatement. Carly and I watched our dear friend Simba go from "cub who has it all" to "cub set up by mean uncle and thinks he inadvertantly killed his father" to "nomad" to well, I dont want to be a spoiler so we'll leave it at nomad. Anywho, what's not to love about the Lion King? The music is phenom, the jokes are constant and the story arc is just solid.
Once we got to the theater, we wrestled the other 7 people in the audience for some seats (we strategically placed ourselves away from other people so they weren't annoyed with our siging, comments, etc.), put on my glasses THEN my 3-D glasses and we anxiously awaited the movie. This was my second 3D movie (I am not one for them seeing as the only other time I did I thought I'd toss my cookies), so wasn't really sure how much was "in your face" but I was actually surprised that it wasn't too bad. And we had to get past the fact that it is not the Honey I Shrunk the Audience or Muppet 3D attractions at Disneyland. We kept thinking that they would throw stuff at us or make us think that there's mice are at our feet, but was pleasantly surprised that it was just more projected. And, boy the opening sequence was downright AWESOME. And there was one point, when Rafiki finds Adult Simba and he leads Simba to the pool to talk to Mufasa and the water was coming out into the audience and Carly and I both said in unison, "ooooooohhhhhhhhh!"
I forgot how awesome this movie is but it did make me feel bad for today's kids. They don't get the classics like we did. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Pixar movies, they're awesome, but you don't see animals and inantimate objects singing hits. In fact that could be my only complaint about the Pixar movies. And Disney only releasing this for 2 weeks...absolute genius. Just think if they were to start releasing other classics, Beauty and the Beast, Aladin, etc it would be their best move ever because people like me and Carly would be all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment