Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Curse: Positivity

This sort of thing has happened to me a couple of times. When you think something super good is coming at you, and then it's nothing short of lame.

So on Friday morning of last week, I received an email from the Mail Room guys at work saying that I had an envelope waiting for me and since I don't have a designated cube, I need to come claim it. Since I was working from home Friday, I contemplated for a hot minute going in and seeing what it was--I NEVER get mail at work--then realized that was dumb so fired off a quick email saying I'll check in with them on Tuesday. So, this allowed for a nice long while for me to sit-and-ponder the possibilities of this envelope. Could if it be offer letter? A letter saying I got my own cube? A contract to get a work phone? Blah, blah, blah, those were just the tip of the iceberg.

I strolled in on Tuesday morning and no sooner do I take a sip of coffee that I fire off another email and said, "I'm HERE! Where can I pick it up?" No word back for quite a while and my day is starting to stack up so I give them a call, ask where they are located, and the guy on the other end mutters something about being between B & C by the coffee room. Side note--I'm in a building around the corner from the main campus, so it makes sense that he was talking about the main campus blgs B & C where a major coffee place is, and not in a section of B & C cubes by our coffee break room, but I didn't get that. So I wander over to what I think it is and look like a fool peaking around and trying to find this mysterious envelope. Eventually I threw in the towel cause I had to get back to work.

So I tried again this morning and email again asking "where can I get this" and finally a nice man named Juan calls me and tells me he'll drop it off in a half hour. I do my best not to shy away from my desk so I don't miss him--in case I need to sign for it, don't you know. An hour and a half later Juan appears, drops off this 6x9 envelope and is on his merry way. I sign nothing, it doesn't weigh a ton, it's just got my name on it. I almost give myself a papercut when I rip it open and find that it's a stupid certificate saying that I completed that training course last month. Talk about anti-climactic.

Yes that's right this has happened to me a couple of times. Once in college, I got a fat envelope in my mailbox--had to be the beginning of dorm living--and I open it eager to see what it is and it's a bank statement. And of course who could forget the time I come home to an empty house that looked like it was left in a hurry and am convinced that my parents thought it was at that moment that they had to run out and buy me a present. Only to find out later a family member died. Yes, my eagerness for exciting things is my curse.

No comments:

Post a Comment