Thursday, February 25, 2010

Killer Killer Whales

Now, this is a reason to stay out of the ocean.

On Thursday a killer whale, or orca, named Chuck Tompkins, killed a trainer at Sea World in Florida. After playing in the practice tank, the whale attacked his trainer (here have been multiple reports as what really happened--did the whale pull her pony tail or did it go for her waist?) and she "most likely died from multiple traumatic injuries and drowning after one of the park's killer whales pulled her into a pool behind Shamu Stadium," says the sheriff's office (ah yeah I would say that was pretty traumatic).

And this was not a baby either, this was a beast--literally. Chuck weighs 12,000 lbs and is 22 feet long. That is like a yacht! I don't really see how this trainer was voluntarily standing close to the whale. CNN says that this woman was living it up with her "dream" job. To me it sounds like a nightmare. In fact, the whole concept of an aquatic theme park is so over my head...as are aquariums. I could tell you that I am an animal rights activist and think it is cruel to confine them (which yeah I see their point) but really it is because I just don't like sea creatures. Fish, on my plate, not swimming next to me. Seaweed, no thank you. Dolphins I do not trust. Seals freak me out. Sharks and Whales? You have got to be kidding me.

I do, however, love to go to the beach. But, I enjoy the beautiful blue ocean from the comfortable, warm sand.

Here's the CNN article...http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/02/25/florida.seaworld.death/index.html?hpt=T1

No comments:

Post a Comment