Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Call me Chef...

I'm going to breeze right past the fact that this is going to be my third post in one week (holler!) but instead, I'll brag about another one of my January goals...I have already made my homemade meal for the week from scratch. Yes, I'm just a couple more dishes away from opening my own restaurant. HA! Just kidding, I wouldn't go that far.

Yesterday I made some delicious Honey Cashew Chicken with Rice. The recipe was from Cooking Light a few months ago and the pictures just looked so scrumptious and said it was "super fast" that I thought ok, this sounds basic enough. Maybe I'll try it. Sidebar: My theory on Cooking Light is that it's basic and healthy - whereas some other magazines or cookbooks are written for the Julia Childs out there, not the Julia Boninos.

It was already going to be a late dinner since I was going to Spin and that didn't get out till 7:15 and they claimed it should only take 20 minutes so I thought this would be a perfect day to test it. I started off with all my ingredients in front of me - much like Rachel Ray, but here's the rub, it only cuts time if you have them all prepared in little bowls ready for you to dump into the pan. Not when they are in their sealed containers staring at you waiting for you to do something with them. The most likely solution to this predicament...get myself a sou chef. I enlisted Carly to help chop. Thank god, I don't care for mincing...so tedious. Yes add that to the list of why I don't cook.

I tried to stick to the recipe exactly. I am not one of those "Oh i thought this would be good in here too" and totally go rogue on it until I've done it exactly as it says I should at least once (reading between the lines - this almost never happens, with the exception of a cocktail recipe). But I did "cheat" and use some 3 minute rice from Trader Joes. Although the recipe did call for instant rice, so I guess I wasn't completely cheating.

Another thing I learned from this recipe - it says only cook for 5 minutes but that isn't the case. Especially when it comes to cooking chicken. I may have overcooked it but cooking chicken is not a maybe kinda sorta thing (although maybe when I'm a pro it will be but not this early in the game).

Anywho, I probably read the recipe for about 15 times and about 45 minutes later, yes over twice as long as it should have taken me, I dined on the concoction and I have to admit it was pretty good. Confession, if I were to order this at a restaurant, I probably won't sing it's praises and say it was decent, but for my completely homemade cooking (with the exception of my instant rice), I'll take it.

Since I don't take pictures of my food (again, only on the rarest of occasions) I can't prove that it was edible and looked decent. But Carly was my taste tester and she enjoyed it. And, if really want to see what it looked like, google a pic and yes it would look exactly like that*

*No it wouldn't.

#Idontinstagramfood

No comments:

Post a Comment