Monday, November 21, 2011

Not a typical Friday night

On Friday night, Marko had a bean up his nose and took Lady Di, Lisa and myself up to the city to see Turnadot. For all of you scratching your heads thinking what the heck is that, that's what I've been saying, and well it's an opera.
For months Marko has been mentioning that we will be doing this and at the time November just seemed so far away. And before we knew it, November had snuck up on us and off we went to the SF Opera House last Frida night. I'll be honest, 3/4 of the car hemmed and hawed all the way up to the city, mostly through dinner, the walk from the restaurant to the Opera, when we got a glass of wine, when we sat down, and up until the lights dimmed, when Lady Di and I let out a collected, Hmph. And for those who have never been to one before, it's in all Italian (no my semester in Florence didn't really help) and they sing at a pitch I only reach while sneezing. And you know, I don't think I could even tell you what they were saying if they were singing in English, but, they do have subtitles that are projected above the stage--this would have come in handy if I had remembered my glasses.(Oopsies and yes, I am officially contemplating contacts...emphasis on the contemplating).
The Bonino's reception of this opera was pretty much evenly divided. Marko was all about it, like a pig in mud and Lisa seemed to have enjoyed herself. She was sitting to my left and was being the good daughter and tried to do her best to have a positive outlook on this experience and she was listening to the music and reading the subtitles (quite the contrast to me). Then there was Lady Di and me. I was squinting to read the subtitles and yet actively trying to fall asleep and then my mom was out like a light within 5 minutes.I was so jealous, all I wanted to do was catch some z's and Lady Di beat me to it. In fact, she proceeded to nap during the other two acts! Only really being chatty during the 20 minute intermissions (that's right intermissions--one in between each act--not my definition of efficiency). I leaned over to Marko during one of the intermissions and told him that it was the most expensive nap he's paid for, that he didn't take!
Looking past the opera itself for a minute, the SF Opera House is absoltutely beautiful in architecture. Gold crown molding in the ceiling, marble floors, classy bathrooms (so Lisa says). And of course the mix of people was definitely interesting. I guess I was expecting a bunch of older couples to be in attendance, but the crowd was pretty much all over the board. There were some Jay-Gloria couples (older men with wife #2 or #3), men in Kilts, women dressed to the nines, a woman wearing Shape-ups, kids dressed up like they were going to weddings, and everything in between.
But we all powered through the 3.5 hours and got some culture. When Marko tried to make a point that next year when we go...Lady Di cut him off and told him she's good for the next 10 years. Well said, Mom, well said. In a nutshell, while the music is pretty, opera just ain't my cup of tea.
#Midispiacemanomipiaceopera
(imagine me singing that at an inaudiable pitch and you'll begin to understand my Friday night)

No comments:

Post a Comment